Saginaw Bay Youth Orchestra
- This program is the Great Lakes Bay Region's only youth orchestra serving the Region and the Thumb, and is geared toward advanced middle & high school aged string players and high school wind, brass, and percussion players
- SBYO follows the orchestra practice of auditioning for chairs that are open. Available positions for Spring Session 2015: flute, oboe, bassoon, and French horn as well as all strings: violin, viola, cello and bass. Call 989-755-6471 TODAY for information!
Session 3: March 15 through March 29; April 12 through May 3
TIME: 2 to 5 p.m. on Sundays
All rehearsals are at the Temple Theatre in Saginaw.
Concert on Sunday, May 3, at 3 :00 pm.
General admission tickets: $7.
COST: $140* per session.
Full payment is required by the second rehearsal unless other arrangements have been made.*
*Scholarships available through the generous funding from Saginaw Tuesday Musicale and Optimist Club of Saginaw. Need-based scholarships available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Complete application by downloading the TUITION ASSISTANCE form at the right. Submit ASAP, but no later than second class of each session.
- Roderick Bieber, co-conductor and violin
- James Hargett, co-conductor and woodwinds
- Don Belcher, brass and library
- Mike Curtiss, percussion
- Mary Demand, bass
- Dick Jensen, arranger
- Anna Mamassian, cello
- Nancy E. Powers, viola
- Ruth Ann Robinson, violin
In partnership with the Temple Theatre
Saginaw Strings (formerly Beginning Strings)
The Saginaw Bay Symphony Orchestra is proud to include the SBYO Beginning Strings and the SBYO Intermediate Strings Ensemble in its innovative educational programs. These programs offer children and youth, grade 2 and older, the opportunity to learn to play a string instrument, to learn music reading skills, and to play in a string ensemble.
- A Suzuki-based program, begun by BWIA, offers area children and youth, grade 2 and older, the opportunity to learn to play violin, viola, cello or bass.
- NEW VENUE>> Rehearsals are on Saturdays at First Presbyterian Church, 121 S. Harrison St., Saginaw 48602
Beginning Strings - Geared toward students with little or no training
Classes for grade 2 through 12.
Time: 11:00 am to 1:00 pm
Advanced Beginning Strings - Introduces music reading skills as well as advancement of string technical skills
Two times slots--to match the experience level of the students
Time: 8:45 am to 10: 45 am and 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Intermediate Strings Ensemble - A strings-only ensemble for children and youth who read music and have developed skills to play 5-part music
Time: 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Session 3: April 11 through May 16
Concert on May 16 at 11 a.m. at First Presbyterian Church, Saginaw
COST per session: $90*
Full payment is required by the second rehearsal.*
To register, please contact 989-780-0178.
*Need-based scholarships are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Complete application by downloading the TUITION ASSISTANCE form at the right. Submit ASAP, but no later than second class of each session.
Beginning Strings/Intermediate Strings Ensemble Specialists
- Mary Demand, bass
- Ellen Goff, violin
- Nancy E. Powers, violin and Team Leader
- Ruth Ann Robinson, violin and viola
In partnership with A String Instrumental Program Fund, administered by the Saginaw Community Foundation.
Have questions? Need more info? Want to set-up on audition?